Friday, September 26, 2008

Prez debate

So I managed to watch the presidential debate online while working tonight, so I figured I would post about my observations. I would call it a draw. Obama attacked McCain through bush, and McCain went after Obama's lack of experience. This debate was about foreign policy, which included the global financial crisis.

I kept a running scorecard as the debate went on giving points to them for good ones. For example I gave McCain +2 points for wanting to do a better job at our borders to defend the homeland, and Obama got +3 points for wanting to improve the perception of the US around the world.

A few key points on what I jotted down for notes. McCain stressed unity and bi-partisanship, I like that. Obama stressed helping the fledgling democracies in Georgia, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, etc. On the whole, McCain got big points for a few items, where Obama got a lot of 1 pointers that added up.

Two very interesting quotes came from McCain. The first was "Republicans wanted to change the Government and the Government changed the Republicans." Very true. I gave him 4 points for that. The other quote was when he was asked about Iran's threat to the US, and he started talking about a "League of Democracies" to exert political force on Iran, North Korea, etc. I deducted 5 points for that because it scares the shit out of me. If the UN can't do it then we make another UN with the countries we like? That's not a good idea. That's another step to world government.

So we got a lot of hot air, I laughed my ass off when Obama called Senator McCain "Jim". Priceless. McCain's tie was dreadful, and he seemed to be tele-operated, moving in a robotic way. Well he is like 100 years old or thereabouts. I guess we can cut him some slack.

No comments: