Monday, April 27, 2009

Death by Piggy

And I thought the pig was going to kill my by clogging my arteries with bacon juice. My word how fast things change. Pandemic was about #25 on my "Oh Shit!" list, just above Zombie Apocalypse at #26. I'm not fully sold this is a true-blue pandemic just yet. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on, and facts are getting scarce.

Looks like Mexico is saying they have 1600 cases with 100 dead. That's a 6.25% mortality rate. Now the Spanish flu was 2.5% and killed 50-100 million in 1918. If that 6.25% is correct then we are fucked. Just stop what your doing and pray, shit yourself or whatever you feel is appropriate. They have to have a lot more cases, just a lot of people either never got properly diagnosed, or didn't go to the hospital for the flu.

One thing I'll grant Mexicans is they aren't going to run to the hospital and clog the emergency rooms like Americans would. How did we get so weak as a nation that with a sniffle we want to see a doctor? Bah! I'll avoid that tangent for now.

So what's the best thing to do? Simple. Avoid people. Short of that all you can do is try to cut down on the vectors the infection can take into your system.
#1 Don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
#2 Get the Fuck away from people that cough.
#3 Wash your hands - regular soap is just as good as antibacterial.

That's it. Other blogs have great information and deeper analysis, but those 3 rules will keep you out of trouble until we have a better idea of what's going on.

No comments: