Thursday, October 29, 2009

Seasteading

Today I went to a lecture down at the University of Rhode Island to see Patri Friedman speak about seasteading. It was only an hour long, but it was a very thought-provoking talk abut the nature of government, and how to turn government into a business model.

I was the only non-student to make the trek, and I did stick out like a sore thumb. I find the whole idea of founding your own community fascinating, as that is what I would love to do. Post-TEOTWAWKI I plan on doing just that.

I probably shouldn't have taken a day off so close to my D-Day, but WTF, I needed to get away. And Patri rarely comes out to the east coast.

HR hasn't said squat about my supposed termination tomorrow, I still think my asshole boss was bluffing. well i will sure find out tomorrow, right? I did get a chance this afternoon to go to the range and run some of my pistol loads through the chronograph to compare the different loads I am choosing between. One thing I can say from my preliminary look at the data is the reloading book is way, way off. By about 200fps. I figured it was because of different pistol barrel lengths, but it turns out that they used a Sig P220 for thier test gun, so WTF, over?

Anyway, check out the idea of Seasteading sometime. It's really interesting for us Libertarian-types.

2 comments:

Bellen said...

While not exactly in the same frame as establishing your own community at sea, the 1981 book by Ken Neumeyer "Sailing the Farm" may give you some insight into living aboard a boat and making do with & without. Check it out at Amazon but look for it a library.

Perhaps several/many moored together at sea would be a way to start seasteading. I realize there are communities of houseboats like that but usually they are tied to the mainland marina.

Mayberry said...

Of course, seasteading piqued my interest, ha ha. I love the concept, but expect the long term logistics would be nightmarish at best.