Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Preparedness

I always wondered how people could go about their daily lives without taking minimal precautions about what challenges they face. If it was going to snow out, I'd always wear clothes a little warmer and weather-resistant that if it wasn't. I always made sure I had at least some cash for a cab ride home after a night of drinking.

It wasn't until Katrina woke me up did I start prepping for the bigger things. But better late than never, right? I now have the means to keep myself and my family alive if something really bad does happen.

Take a look at what is going on in the economy. It's a ship without a rudder and no one at the helm. From personal experience, it's just a matter of time before the boat gets swamped. Our economy is but a wave away from disaster, and we need to be ready for that, and more importantly what happens next.

Walking through the supermarket the other day, and adding up how many people live nearby, there is but a couple of day's food in the whole store. Assuming, that is, the food is distributed properly and equitably. Like that is going to happen. As a society, we are on the edge of chaos, just a hungry belly between peace and war.

We have a moral obligation to try to convince people to be ready. There is a good saying though - You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Those friends and family who you try to warn, but do not heed your concerns, will get a harsh enough lesson. I will give what charity I can spare to them, only because the plan is to bail for points north, leaving nary a clue behind for those to follow me.

I foresee a lot of hard decisions we preppers are going to have to face, on who we can help, and who we cannot. I can offer no advice, no sound reasoning on who to help and who we should not. I have yet to make those decisions myself.

1 comment:

Scott Lopez said...

The nouveau experts all say our society is "9 meals away from anarchy" but I believe it.

I've reconned my friends' "pantries" and realized that each fit that description almost to a tee. Maybe one or two could stretch their supplies to 7 days, but I think they'd run out of water before then.

The amazing thing is the bulk of my buddies work for the local govt and had to attend a disaster planning workshop for work. The officals explained that our area is a designated refugee/relief area that will absorb those overrun by our area's expected disaster.

Yet they still live as if the local store will always be open and there will always be enough...sigh. I hope they don't end up on my porch come zombie day :)